Meeting 03

ICAT Steering Group Meeting #3

9th December 2015 15:00GMT
Video/Phone meeting (Bluejeans)

Attendance

  • Steve Fisher (SF), STFC, Scientific Computing
  • Tom Griffin (TG), STFC, Scientific Computing
  • Andy Goetz (AG), ESRF
  • Milan Prica (MP), ELETTRA
  • Shelly Ren (SR), SNS
  • Alun Ashton (AA), Diamond

Apologies

  • Rolf Krahl, HZB
  • Brian Matthews, STFC, Scientific Computing

1. Welcome
AG welcomed those present. Apologies were received from Rolf Krahl and Brian Matthews.

2. Actions of the previous meeting

No. Detail Resp. Status
 2.1  Add the steering committee terms of reference to the icatproject website  TG  Done
2.2 Update the ToR to include a section on voting TG Not Done
2.3 Ask ELETTRA if they wish to continue on the Steering committee AG Done- Milan is ELETTRA’s representive
2.4 Check with CLF/LSF that they are correctly represented BM TG to discuss with BM and CLF
2.5 Invite HZB to join the steering committee AG Complete – Rolf is HZB’s representative
2.6 Contact PSI, DESY, ALBA, MAXLab and ESS about their involvement in the project and committee AG Done.
2.7 Write a general note on criteria for membership of the steering committee TG Not done
2.8 Move all ICAT projects to Apache v2 licence and GitHub SF Done
2.9 Update the roadmap and dates, and circulate SF Done
2.10 Write a specification of external authorization service SR Not done
2.11 Ask communications for help to review web site TG SCD has recruited an impact manager. TG to discuss with them
2.12 Arrange the next meeting for 6 months time (tele/video-conference) TG Done

 

3. Review of membership
No business

4. Status of Components
See Steve’s slides
Shelly asked about Dashboard – management information
Shelly asked about Glassfish and Wildfly – answer – both will be supported.

5. Roadmap
See slides
Move to Wildfly/hibernate testing revealed issues in the existing code.

Facility requests/comments

Shelly: SNS is working on automatic roll-out via Puppet to help ease rollout. Will be shared via GitHub.
Tom – We should consider the role of Docker in releasing and running ICAT.
Andy – data policy will be rolled out at ESRF; Request to embed DOI issuing in ICAT/TopCAT.
Shelly – documentation is a major issue;
Andy – suggested a  workshop could spend 1/2 day fixing documentation;

Globus: Tom explained Globus; Andy reported that CERN move all data with FTS3 and it could be integrated in ICAT, it is percieved to be even easier to use than Globus.

Cloud/Docker – it is possible to build whole VM, but fairly uninteresting. It is better to package individual components – could lead to a more scalable system.
Shelly – install has been too fragile and unclear errors in the past.

7. Website
ICATProject.org had been ‘hacked’ The root cause was probably simply a weak password. Steve has since hardened  security significantly.

8. Review of ICAT resources

No business

9. AOB.

No business

10. Next meeting/Developer meeting
It was agreed that the next SC meeting should be face-to-face and  Colocated with NoBUGS2016 in Copenhagen.

A developer meeting will be held at the same time.

 

New Actions

No. Detail Resp.
2.2 Update the ToR to include a section on voting TG
2.4 Check with CLF/LSF that they are correctly represented TG & BM
2.7 Write a general note on criteria for membership of the steering committee TG
2.10 Write a specification of external authorization service SR
2.11 Ask communications for help to review web site TG