Meeting 95 – 17 March 2016

Agenda

  • Actions from meeting 94 (Steve)
  • Component development
    • ICAT (Steve)
    • ICAT Manager
    • Python-icat (Rolf)
    • IDS (Steve)
      • FUSE (Alex)
      • Globus transfer (Frazer)
      • SmartClient (Steve)
      • WebDAV (Kevin)
    • TopCAT (Jody)
    • IJP (Brian R)
    • ICAT Dashboard (Alex)
    • Multi-container support (Steve)
    • Installation (Steve)
    • Face to Face meeting for 2016 (Steve)
  • Issues from ICAT production deployments (Any)
  • AOB (Any)

Present: Kevin, Steve, Jody, Brian R, Becky, Frazer, Rolf, Milan

Apologizes: Tom, Andy, Jianguo

Action 85.3 Steve reported that Alex has migrated the whole of ICAT Manager to github and that the version on github is more up to date the the package hosted on the ESRF website.

  • Becky introduced herself to the team. She is a graduate on a 6 month placement within the Research Data Group who will be working on a new GUI for the ICAT Job Portal.
  • Steve talked about Alex and Andy’s visit to RAL being very informative and useful for both teams.
  • ICAT 4.7 is moving along with many of the new features complete. Steve is currently working on getting multiple ICATs to work with an Apache front end.  Currently there are a few issues with the Apache front end.
  • There was a discussion about the Update Semantics. There were worries about the complexity of the problem and further research is required.
  • There was a discussion about the request to add an Orchid Id field to the user table. There was also a discussion about adding more fields which brought up concerns about security and possibly accessing data directly from the User office. This was another point that would require more thought.
  • Steve talked about adding a Boolean flag to the IDS properties file to ask the user if they would like the IDS to write as fast as it can or as slowly as you can to tape systems.
  • Steve talked about the changes to the IDS-plugin where the plugin used to depend on the ICAT-utils which would then depend on the ICAT. This would cause the plugin to be unnecessarily large. This has now been changed.
  • Frazer talked about a new node being set-up for SCARF that will allow users to download data from TopCat which would then be staged in a home directory in SCARF.
  • TopCats major tickets are now complete apart from one which is now being worked on for the upcoming release.
  • Brian discussed about how there new work is starting on the IJP. LSF have presented Brian R with some new requirements that have been collected over the past year. Becky will now start working on the new user interface. There have been meetings with LSF to discuss what they would like to see in the UI and mocks up are now starting to be created.
  • Alex talked about how the Dashboard now collects and presents data on current downloads and failed downloads. There will be a snapshot produced soon which will then require further user testing.
  • There was further discussion on the upcoming ICAT meet up and how we should try to invite more people from outside the teams to spread the word of ICAT.

 

Item Description Assigned
95.0 Tom to circulate current Dashboard Requirements Tom
94.0 Create a formal release of TopCat 2.0 Jody
94.1 Provide any requirements for the Dashboard All
93.0 Make screencast of TopCAT demo Jody
92.2 Provide information on LSF’s use and potential future use of ICAT components. Jianguo
74.0 Look into JDBC connector resilience with Wildfly Steve