Road Map – April 2014
Road Map for the ICAT family
The purpose of this document is to indicate the planned ICAT family developments. It tries to look one year ahead and will be updated three times a year.
There are currently no plans to make any changes to the ICAT schema nor API nor to change or remove the speculative features.
- Provide a JSON based RESTful web service to migrate metadata/data between ICAT/IDS instances. This will allow a file to be prepared of data to be fed into ICAT. Functionality of the old XMLIngest will be included. The new mechanism will be more general as it will be able to deal with any ICAT data and not just a hierarchical projection of that data. It will also allow a new ICAT to be configured very rapidly.
- Fix the "DISTINCT" bug which affects aggregate functions
- Allow authz rules to support projections
- Configurable limit on the total number of objects returned by a query -- exception if exceeded.
- Include the InvestigationGroup and explain how it should be used.
- Complete RESTful interface to parallel the SOAP one
- Provide client object generation for Java and Python
- Support Wildfly
- Investigate the use of a non-relational database to give better performance at large scale. Some kind of hybrid between relational and non-relational might be optimal.
- Provide FUSE file system authorized by ICAT
- Support option for secondary level storage to be by datafile (as well as data set as at present).
- Ensure that multiple IDS deployments can share the same archive storage.
- Include adding, updating and deleting dataset and datafile parameters
- Agreement on new look.
- Implementation of new look based on bootstrap and AngularJS and the elimination of GWT
- Simple multi-facility searching
- Tabbed facilities
- Refactor IJP to separate out the batch work which is very platform dependent.
- Provide an easy to deploy IJP with one batch system (basic Unix batch). The configuration will support simple jobs such as concatenating copying and deleting data files.
- Provide more sensible routing of jobs when more than one batch system is configured
- Support IBM platform LSF