Dublin Meeting, Trinity College Dublin, March 2014
Status and Roadmap
- A good and constructive meeting
- Tom's domain specific GUI looks very promising
- Jay liked the speed and simplicity of ICAT4.3 compared to ICAT 3 but requested some clarifications to the documentation
- Very few people have actually used the ICAT API.
- Rolf's suggestion to add an InvestigationGroup was interesting and will de discussed further on the icatgroup list before deciding whether or not to accept it.
- There was not much enthusiasm for trying other J2EE containers at the moment.
The Status and Roadmap presentations were accepted but:
- There was no interest in changing the getAPIVersion() to have a more sensible name.
- The config operation of the setup scripts should be preserved though should not be required.
- There was concern that the Lucene index was a single point of failure in a multi-ICAT setup – it was also pointed out that it could require a lot of memory.
- The federation part of TopCAT was considered to be essential by a significant number of people – so multi-ICAT searches will be kept.
- It was suggested that an existing abstraction of a job system should be used when generalising the IJP. In factthe only one I found was BLAH of which I was aware but had forgotten.
- Many thanks to John Walsh and TCD for the organisation.